Congratulations to the national winners of 2011-2012 Coastal America Ocean Art Contest! Entries at the National level were selected by very special guest judges: world-renowned ocean explorer Dr. Sylvia Earle, National Geographic photographer Brian Skerry, cartoonist Jim Toomey and marine life artist Wyland.
Over 1500 entries were submitted at the regional level by students. Guest judges had to choose from over 165 winning masterpieces from across the regions at the national level.
The national first place winners will be honored at a special awards ceremony at National Geographic Headquarters in Washington D.C. on June 7. Winning artwork will also be displayed at prominent locations around the city during Capitol Hill Oceans Week.
All regional artwork will be on display for Capitol Hill Oceans Week (CHOW). On Tuesday June 5 the Winning National artwork will be at the CHOW reception dinner. On Wednesday June 6 it will be at the NOAA 36th Annual Fish Fry at the Department of Commerce. Thursday it will be at the June 7th Awards Ceremony at the National Geographic Society Building. June 8th, the art exhibit will move to World Ocean Day Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History.
After CHOW, the exhibit, consisting of the National winners plus 2nd and 3rd place, will move around the DC area and stay for longer periods of time. It will start at the Department of Commerce from mid-June to September. The exhibit is proposed to move to the National Academies of Science until mid-December.
Be sure to join the winning artists and Coastal America guests in a series of ocean celebratory events at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History on World Oceans Day.
To see exclusive photos of the winning artwork at the national level from our participating CELCs, be sure to check out the Coastal America Facebook page. For more information about the Coastal America 2011-2012 Ocean Art Contest and World Ocean Day activities, please visit www.coastalamerica.gov.
- Winner- Pramuditha Sithumini Madigapola (Aquarium of the Pacific)
- 2nd Place- Isabel Brown (Alaska SeaLife Center)
- 3rd Place- Youngseo Song (Aquarium of the Pacific)
- Winner- Casey J. Lambries (Alaska SeaLife Center)
- 2nd Place- Carol Zhou (Georgia Aquarium)
- 3rd Place tie- Joyce Zhang (National Aquarium in Baltimore)
- 3rd Place tie- Storm D. Rohrer (Alaska SeaLife Center)
- Winner- Alyssa Cheung (Vancouver Aquarium)
- 2nd Place- Timothy Li (Shedd Aquarium)
- 3rd Place tie- Joseph Payongayong (Waikiki Aquarium)
- 3rd Place tie- Grace Zhang (National Aquarium in Baltimore)
- Winner- Carmen Pacheco (Aquarium of the Pacific)
- 2nd Place- Rachel Ragusa (Florida Aquarium)
- Winner- Annika McFarlane (Vancouver Aquarium)
- 2nd Place tie- Troy Souza (Waikiki Aquarium)
- 2nd Place tie- Deborah Bitanga (Alaska SeaLife Center)
- 3rd Place- Gabriel Viloria (Waikiki Aquarium)
- Winner- Yvonne Orjuela (Florida Aquarium)
- 2nd Place- Katie Georgas (Florida Aquarium)
- 3rd Place- Sam Rios-Arizala (Florida Aquarium)
- Winner- Edmund Liang (Aquarium of the Pacific)
- 2nd Place- Cali Sales (Aquarium of the Pacific)
- 3rd Place- Erin Wong (Aquarium of the Pacific)
- Winner- Joyce Kyunghee Lee (Aquarium of the Pacific)
- 2nd Place- Thomas Smith (Aquarium of the Pacific)
For a list of all winners, click here